Pacquiao wants Horn rematch in the Philippines

first_imgManny Pacquiao, right, of the Philippines watches Jeff Horn of Australia falls on the mat during their WBO World welterweight title bout in Brisbane, Australia, Sunday, July 2, 2017. Pacquiao lost his WBO welterweight world title to Horn in a stunning, unanimous points decision in the Sunday afternoon bout billed as the Battle of Brisbane in front of more than 50,000 people. (AP Photo/Tertius Pickard)Manny Pacquiao said on Sunday he was still wanted a rematch with Jeff Horn after the Filipino boxing hero  pulled out of their scheduled bout in Australia later his year.Queensland’s premier, whose state government was the financial backer of a November 12 fight, announced on Friday that Pacquiao “cannot return to the ring” due to other commitments. ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief LATEST STORIES Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Djokovic becomes father of baby girl WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses “It will not push through there in Australia. But we are bringing the fight here in the Philippines,” Pacquiao said on radio station DZBB, adding negotiations were ongoing. “This will be good for our country’s tourism.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutPacquiao, 38, had initially called for a rematch after losing his World Boxing Organization welterweight title to the 29-year-old on points Horn in a major upset in Brisbane on July 2.Pacquiao, who has won world titles in an unprecedented eight weight divisions, had demanded a review of the bout but the WBO declared Horn the clear winner after a panel of judges re-scored the fight. center_img Read Next Now in the twilight of a 22-year professional career, Pacquiao has not stopped an opponent in eight years and briefly quit boxing last year to pursue his long-held political ambitions and was elected senator.But he quickly made a successful comeback against Jessie Vargas in November, saying he still felt like a youngster.Pacquiao has defied calls to retire for good, including from his family and celebrated American trainer Freddie Roach.  Pacquiao dismissed funding concerns about hosting the multi-million dollar fight in the Philippines. “We have lots of friends who are supporting us including our tourism (department). The president is giving his all-out support,” Pacquiao said referring to his political ally Rodrigo Duterte.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony PLAY LIST 00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony01:49Pacquiao to Mayweather: Want fans to stop asking for rematch? Then fight me again00:44Manny Pacquiao on Floyd Mayweather: Let him enjoy retirement01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa View commentslast_img

Published by

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *