Virus forces teams out of Asian badminton championships

first_imgTopics : There have been more than 42,000 people infected in China where more than 1,000 people have died, mainly around the outbreak’s epicenter in the central city of Wuhan.Elsewhere there have been more than 460 infections in 28 countries with two deaths, one in the Philippines and the other in Hong Kong. The deadly coronavirus outbreak has forced China and Hong Kong’s men and women and India’s women to withdraw from badminton’s Asia Team Championships, which start on Tuesday in Manila.The event, which runs until Sunday in the Philippines capital, is the Asian qualifying event for the sport’s Thomas and Uber Cup team championships later this year.It also serves as part of the qualification process for this year’s Tokyo Olympics.center_img “The decision to impose the 14 days quarantine period for all travellers coming from China, Hong Kong and Macau has to be respected in view of the health and safety of the Philippines government for its people,” said a Badminton Asia statement Tuesday.”It is in this respect that the above event will not see the teams from China and Hong Kong competing.”The Indian women’s team withdrew after concerns were raised by players and their parents, said the Badminton Association of India (BAI). “After receiving complete assurances from Badminton Asia, the men’s team agreed to travel and confirmed their participation however, the women’s team was withdrawn,” said a BAI statement.last_img read more

In Bethlehem, Governor Wolf Hosts Roundtable to Discuss State Efforts to Battle Opioid Epidemic

first_img Press Release,  Public Health,  Substance Use Disorder Harrisburg, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf visited New Directions Treatment Services in Bethlehem. At New Directions, which has been selected as a center of excellence, Governor Wolf hosted a roundtable to discuss his administration’s efforts to battle the opioid epidemic and how the state can continue this fight. The 2016-2017 budget included $20.4 million for Centers of Excellence which serve as central, efficient hubs around which treatment revolves. These centers will have navigators to assist people with opioid-related substance use disorders through the medical system, and ensure they receive behavioral and physical health care, as well as any evidence-based medication-assisted treatment needed.“Ensuring that Pennsylvanians have access to the mental health and substance use care that they need is a priority for my administration. Every day, we lose ten Pennsylvanians to the disease of opioid addiction and 3,500 Pennsylvanians lost their lives in 2015 alone,” said Governor Wolf. “As we all know, the opioid epidemic does not discriminate – it affects Pennsylvanians from all walks of life. While we have achieved much, we can and should do more to address this matter that is plaguing all of our communities.”“I was very pleased to welcome Governor Wolf to our clinic today,” said Mairead Desmond,  ‎Executive Director at New Directions Treatment Services. “The Governor’s commitment to helping people in the Commonwealth, as evidenced by his much needed expansion of Medicaid, is appreciated by the people we serve in our programs.   Without that expansion, many of them would have been unable to get the care they need.“At the AATOD conference late last year, Chuck Rosenberg of the DEA, in speaking about Medication Assisted Treatment for OUD, said that we cannot ‘enforce or prosecute’ our way out of the opioid epidemic that is having devastating consequences in our country.  Mr. Rosenberg said that the way to address this crisis is through demand reduction and demand reduction can be achieved by making treatment available to everyone who needs it.    Governor Wolf has been helping to make that happen in Pennsylvania.“I want to thank the Governor for his efforts to combat this crisis, especially his promotion of Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT).  MAT is a treatment modality that is often misunderstood despite the fact that it has 40 years of demonstrated efficacy in treating and thereby preventing overdose deaths for people affected by Opiate Use Disorders.”In late September, Governor Wolf addressed a joint session of the General Assembly to outline a set of shared, specific legislative goals that would help tackle the opioid and heroin crisis. Together with Republicans and Democrats in both the House and Senate, Governor Wolf made a commitment to prioritize helping the victims of substance use disorder and the communities that have been devastated by this terrible disease.During the fall session, we made real progress in helping the victims of substance use disorder and the communities that have been devastated by this terrible disease. The governor and legislators made significant achievements toward fighting this epidemic by passing five major bills that will strengthen the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program, restrict the number of pills that can be prescribed to minors or in emergency rooms, establish education curriculum on safe prescribing, and create more locations for the drop-off of drugs among other important initiatives.If you or someone you know is suffering from substance use disorder, help is available. Please visit pa.gov/opioids or call 1-800-662-HELP.Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf SHARE Email Facebook Twitter January 11, 2017center_img In Bethlehem, Governor Wolf Hosts Roundtable to Discuss State Efforts to Battle Opioid Epidemiclast_img read more

High Costs Expected after Maersk Honam Fire

first_imgShipping giant Maersk Line confirmed that the berthing and discharging operations of the fire-stricken Maersk Honam would result in high extraordinary costs.The company has therefore decided to declare General Average, according to a notice released by Maersk’s 2M alliance partner Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC), under which all parties with a financial interest in the voyage are to proportionally share the losses resulting from the incident.Maersk Line has not yet confirmed when and where the vessel will be berthed and discharged.The fire on board the ultra large containership was earlier localized and prevented from spreading, the Indian Coast Guard said on March 9. Specialized firefighting vessels remain engaged, with salvage operations led by Smit Salvage and Ardent.The Danish carrier appointed Richards Hogg Lindley (RHL), London as the General Adjuster and they will keep all containers under their control until security arrangements have been made with the Average Adjusters, both for General Average and Salvage.Singapore-flagged Maersk Honam suffered the fire in its cargo hold on March 6. At the time, the ship, which was enroute from Singapore towards Suez, was crewed by 27 sailors.23 crew members were evacuated by the vessel ALS Ceres after the fire broke out. One was reported dead due to injuries sustained in connection with the fire, while the salvors found the remains of three out of the four missing crew members aboard Maersk Honam, the company said on March 12.Maersk Line informed that a full investigation will be conducted to determine the cause of the fire and the impact to the vessel and cargo.last_img read more

Hollandse Kust Noord Tender Planned for April

first_imgThe Dutch government is planning to open the tender for the Hollandse Kust Noord offshore wind farm zone in April 2020.The tender is scheduled to be launched on 2 April and to run until 30 April by 17:00h local time.Hollandse Kust Noord is one of three offshore wind areas chosen by the Dutch government to be developed by 2023, as part of the country’s Energy Agreement for sustainable growth.It consists of two 350MW sites located 18.5km off the west coast of the Netherlands. The project is valued at around EUR 1.4 billion.The European Investment Bank (EIB) is currently reviewing an application submitted by the Netherlands for the financing of the Hollandse Kust Noord offshore wind project to the tune of EUR 500 million.last_img read more

Matthieu Dam in Layou overflows its banks

first_img Share Flooding on the Layou Park Road.The community members of Layou are this morning coming to grips with extensive damage caused by the overflow of the Mattieu Damn. It is reported that about 12:30 am the Damn overflowed its banks causing major disaster in that community.Dominica Vibes News can report that the Agricultural Station has damaged including plants which had been propagated for sale, the Layou Park Bridge (Clark Hall Estate/Glo Sho area) which is at least 10 feet above the river was completely cut off, a 40 foot container filled with supplies stored on private premises has been washed down by the river, a wooden house which some Kalinago natives occupied was also brought down, as well as a 30 foot speed boat.Minister of Public Works Honourable Rayburn Blackmoore is advising motorists to exercise extreme caution when traversing the Portsmouth to Roseau route, due to the extensive debris and mud residue on the road as a result of the flooding.  Public Works Corporation personnel are on site clearing the area, as well as members of the Dominica Police Force and Disaster Preparedness Officials.It is also reported that the newly built asphalt plant has flooded, there is a 30 foot speed boat was brought down by the river and is blocking a section of the road.In 1997 there was a similar occurrence when a series of landslides blocked the upper portion of the Layou River in Dominica and caused extensive flash flooding in the Community.Here are a few photographs of the damage in the Layou area: [nggallery id=61]We will provide more information as it becomes available.Dominica Vibes News 28 Views   no discussions Share Sharecenter_img Tweet LocalNews Matthieu Dam in Layou overflows its banks by: – July 28, 2011 Sharing is caring!last_img read more

Alice Wuestefeld

first_imgAlice Wuestefeld (nee Eckstein), age 85 of St. Leon, Indiana passed away Tuesday, January 8, 2019. She was born December 20, 1933 to Amand and Mary Eckstein in St. Nicholas, Indiana. On September 7, 1953 she married Walter Wuestefeld at St. Nicholas and were married for 56 years. Alice and Walter had five children together.She was preceded in death by her husband, Walter, two brothers Cornelius Eckstein and Albert Eckstein, and one sister Stella Doerflein.Survivors include two sons, Dale Wuestefeld of Nesbit, Mississippi and Don (Susie) Wuestefeld of Franklin, Tennessee; three daughters, Marilyn (Nick) Mathioudakis of Zionsville, Indiana, Gerilyn (Tim) Chaffee and Carol (Jody) Geier both of St. Leon, Indiana. She also leaves behind seven grandchildren, Rob, Sophia and Joe Mathioudakis, Taylor Chaffee, Derek and Alexis Sturgill and Caige Geier. Other survivors include two sisters Verena Fette of New Alsace, Indiana and Matilda (Don) Nordmeyer of Cincinnati, Ohio; three brothers, Edmund (Thelma) Eckstein and Father Francis Eckstein both of Sunman, Indiana, Walter (Joan) Eckstein of Morris, Indiana and two sisters-in-law Jean Eckstein of Sunman, Indiana and Peggy Rolfes of Harrison, OH and numerous nieces and nephews.Visitation will be held at Andres-Wuestefeld Funeral Home on Saturday, January 12 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Rosary will begin at 9:45a.m. Mass of Christian Burial will follow visitation at All Saints Parish, St. Joe’s Campus at 12:30 p.m., immediately followed by burial.Memorials can be made to St. Leon Fire Department or All Saints Parish. To offer condolences or sign the guestbook online, please visit www.andres-wuestefeldfh.com. The staff of Andres-Wuestefeld Funeral Home is honored to serve the family of Alice Wuestefeld.last_img read more

Flaspohler wins back-to-back Showman competitions

first_imgBrookville, IN—Last night at the Franklin County 4-h Fair was the 2019 Showman of Showmen competition.  This year’s award went to back-to-back champion  Hope Flaspohler.  Hope won this Showman award in 2018 and went on to the Indiana State Fair were she won sheep showmanship and gilt hog showmanship. Hope is a member of 4-H Superkids Club.last_img

Neymar fires PSG to Champions League semis

first_imgRelatedPosts Aguero could be out of action until November, Guardiola says UCL: Benfica kicked out by player who left club one week earlier + other results MultiChoice unveils sport channels, content line-up Paris St Germain staged a superb comeback by scoring two late goals to beat Atalanta 2-1 and book a spot in the Champions League semi-finals after a thrilling finish on Wednesday.Atalanta’s superb display looked like dumping PSG out of the competition but Marquinhos levelled from close range in the final minute before Frenchman Kylian Mbappe set up fellow substitute Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting for a stoppage-time winner. With Mbappe starting on the bench after an ankle injury, the creative burden fell on Brazilian forward Neymar, and he blasted an early effort over with the goal at his mercy.Despite the gulf in finances between the clubs — PSG spent more on Neymar and Mbappe than Atalanta had paid for players in total since 2001-02 — the Italians led through Mario Pasalic who curled the ball home superbly in the 27th minute.But PSG’s late show took Thomas Tuchel’s side through to the last four as the weary Atalanta players slumped to the turf.Tags: AtalantaKylian MbappeParis St. GermainUEFA Champions Leaguelast_img read more

Football News Liverpool beat Napoli to enter last 16 of UEFA Champions League, Paris Saint-Germain also qualify

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Football News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Liverpool: Goalkeeper Alisson Becker was labelled a “life saver” by Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp for a last-gasp save that secured a 1-0 win over Napoli at Anfield and progress to the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday. Mohamed Salah’s stunning solo effort put the hosts in front 11 minutes before half-time, but Liverpool were nearly made to pay for their profligacy in missing a series of second-half chances. Alisson had barely been tested until the Brazilian number one spread himself brilliantly to deny Arkadiusz Milik a dramatic stoppage-time equaliser and go a long way to justifying the then-world record 67-million fee for a goalkeeper Liverpool paid Roma in July. “If I knew Alisson was this good — I would have paid double,” joked Klopp. “The goal Mo scored, what a goal! And the save Ali made (was) unbelievable. It was of course a life saver tonight.” Despite losing all three of their away games in Group C, three home wins at fortress Anfield were enough to see Liverpool through to the knockout stage on goals scored over the Italians in second place behind Paris Saint-Germain, who won 4-1 away to Red Star Belgrade to secure top spot.Read More | Roma stall Inter Milan’s progress in Serie A, AC Milan move to fourth”I’m still full of adrenaline, I could feel it in bubbles,” added Klopp. “This game was just amazing. The boys played with their whole heart on the pitch.”Read More | Neymar injury mars Paris Saint-Germain’s match against BordeauxLiverpool’s charge to the Champions League final last season was spearheaded by Salah’s 44-goal season. And after signalling his return to top form by scoring a hat-trick in a 4-0 win at Bournemouth on Saturday that sent Liverpool to the top of the Premier League, Salah’s 13th goal of the campaign relegated Napoli to the Europa League in the new year despite losing for the first time in Europe this season. “It’s a real shame our efforts haven’t been rewarded,” said Napoli coach Carlo Ancelotti.”We have no regrets. Overall the group of players have done extremely well, we took it down to the wire. You can’t expect to come to Liverpool and create 10 really good chances, we had one or two and didn’t have the luck to take one of them.”   Van Dijk’s lunge The outcome could have been very different if Virgil van Dijk had been sent off rather than just shown a yellow card that will keep him out of the first leg of Liverpool’s last-16 tie for a dangerous lunge on Dries Mertens after just 15 minutes. UEFA will introduce the video assistant referee (VAR) system for the last 16, but Ancelotti bemoaned the delay in using the technology during the group stage. “Seeing on the video, I knew it was a red card,” added Ancelotti. “When VAR comes in (to) the Champions League, it is too late.”  Liverpool took control as the first half wore on and broke the deadlock when Salah outmuscled Mario Rui and skipped past Kalidou Koulibaly before squeezing the ball underneath Ospina from a narrow angle. Had Liverpool conceded they would have had to win by two goals due to their 1-0 defeat in Naples, and the hosts failed to cash in on their dominance of the early stages of the second half and avoid a nervy ending. Salah pulled his shot into the side-netting with a far better angle from the one he scored, while Milner and Van Dijk sent long-range efforts flying just wide of the target.Ospina made acrobatic saves to keep out Salah and Mane once more before Mane failed to hit the target with two glorious chances to Klopp’s dismay. Napoli should have levelled 12 minutes from time when Jose Maria Callejon spooned over a glorious chance at the back post. But their best opportunity came at the death only for Alisson to stand tall to keep a 12th clean sheet in 22 appearances and ensure Liverpool live to fight another day in the Champions League this season. last_img read more

Jaguars roar to 10 wicket win over spirited Hurricanes

first_img-Smith, Barnwell stand out among starsGUYANA Jaguars wrapped up an emphatic 10 wicket win over Leeward Hurricanes to get their 2020 Regional 4-Day title defence off to a great start.The Jags racked up 388 runs in their first innings thanks to half-centuries from top-scorer, Chris Barnwell, who led with 82, captain Leon Johnson and openers Chandrapaul Hemraj and Tagenarine Chanderpaul.Leewards then stumbled in their chase as they ran into a hostile Niall Smith who snatched 6 wickets with his steamy right-arm pace on red-ball debut for the Champs.Jahmar Hamilton led the resistance with 53 amongst a dismal batting card. After being skittled out for 155 in their 1st innings, Hurricanes bounced back thanks to a sublime 99 from Windies opener Kieran Powell.The left-hander shared a 150-plus run opening stand with Montcin Hodge who hit 62. However, after gaining just a slight lead of 20, following their 2nd innings 254-10, Guyana then knocked off their target in no time.The Jags earlier operated with a pack-like mentality as the wickets were shared evenly among the frontline bowlers.Left-arm spinner Veerasammy Permaul and left-arm seamer Raymon Reifer both returned identical figures of 3-55 while speedsters Smith grabbed two as he ended the match with 8 wickets in total and keon Joseph who also bagged a pair.The match came to a calm end as Hemraj stroked a four in his score of 8 not out while Chandepaul was the unorthodox aggressor of the two, smashing a six and two fours as he raced to 14 off 11; sealing an exceptional win for the 5-time defending champions. (Clifton Ross)last_img read more