– attempts by the GRDB to obtain information proving futileThe Guyana Rice Development Board (GRDB) is apparently being sidelined by Jamaican authorities with regard to obtaining information about recent reports surfacing that a shipment of 70 metric tonnes of White Cinderella rice from Guyana had been confiscated in Jamaica after it was found unsuitable for human consumption.General Manager of GRDB Nizam HassanGeneral Manager of the GRDB, Nizam Hassan, told the media on Tuesday that such allegations have reached the public domain already and if such information is in the hands of the Jamaican authorities then it would augur well that such issues be communicated to the exporting country, which in this case, is Guyana.“There are so many things that we have thought of but let’s not speculate here. Let’s wait for the Jamaicans to tell us but I think that we need to know. Because let’s say that there is an issue from the sending country that needs to be looked at that needs to be improved, that needs to be corrected, that information would help the process.”He explained that since the allegation was made known to the GRDB after being publicised by local media attempts by the GRDB to verify the facts about this situation have proved futile.“We immediately contacted the agency, the Jamaica Food Storage and Prevention of Infestation Division. We contacted them, they reported that they could not give us any information…they have not provided us with any information as I speak to you,” said Hassan.Although the GRDB came up empty-handed in this case, the only other immediate alternative, after this failed attempt to seek an answer or clarification into the matter, was to speak with the local supplier of the rice in question.“We then contacted the supplier of the rice, because we knew who the supplier was. The supplier of the rice informed us that the buyer, that he has been speaking to a number of buyers and none of his buyers have said to him anything with regards to supply. In fact, the supplier informed us that he has been fully paid for the supplies of his rice,” he added.He explained that more articles about the allegations were being publicised by various media houses and as such, the GRDB attempted to make direct contact with the international buyer of the rice. However, to date, the buyer in question has not divulged any information to the GRDB.“We learnt through that article who the buyer with alleged confiscation was. We then contacted that buyer, that buyer did not also provide us with any information. So, as we speak to you we have no additional information with regards to the issues surrounding the alleged confiscation of rice that was exported to Jamaica.”Hassan added that the GRDB has turned to the Foreign Affairs Ministry of Guyana to help seek the relevant information from Jamaican authorities about this matter.
The Child Development Centre didn’t reach its goal on Friday night, but none the less, they are still pleased with the results.In total over $84,000 was raised for the CDC between the Talent show and the 6th annual Arctech Welding and Machining a Day for the Kids. The had hoped to raise over $200,00 between the two events.The money will be put towards Project Build a Fort, which will see the CDC almost double in size. Construction on the new building began last summer and will continue for at least another year. The CDC will kick off a major fundraising campaign in the coming months to help pay for the project.You can still help the CDC by calling 250-785-3200 or visit their website at www.cdcfsj.ca Advertisement – Advertisement -Photos provided by the Child Development Centre
Los Angeles City Councilman Richard Alarcón was officially sworn in Friday to represent the council’s 7th District, coming full circle back to where he began his political career. “People keep asking me what it’s like to come back and I have to say, it’s almost as if I never left,” Alarcón told a packed council chamber after being sworn in. “There is a level of comfort being in this chamber that only members can understand.” Alarcón’s return was saluted by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and state Sen. Alex Padilla, who preceded Alarcón in the 7th District but stepped down after winning a state Senate seat. A recent voter-approved measure allowing council members to serve longer means Alarcón will be able to seek election in 2009 to another four-year term, after completing the remaining two years of Padilla’s term. Alarcón won election to the council seat earlier this month over three opponents, just months after he was elected to the state Assembly. But passage of the council term-limits measure prompted Alarcón to return to local office. “This is all about community service,” Alarcón said. “That’s what I hope to do. People see us as politicians, but what we do is the work of civil servants.” Villaraigosa, who had faced Alarcón in the race for mayor two years ago, said he welcomed Alarcón’s return and experience. “As a former council member, as a state legislator, he brings invaluable experience to the city,” Villaraigosa said, noting that the two have known and worked with each other for more than 30 years. Padilla said Alarcón’s election cements an effort to bring more services to the northeast San Fernando Valley that began when Alarcón first served from 1991 through 1997. “This area is looked at differently today,” Padilla said, “because we have begun to work collectively to improve services to this part of the city.” Alarcón, who was named chairman of the council’s Education and Neighborhood Committee, said he will push to build on reforms Villaraigosa is proposing for the Los Angeles Unified School District. He said he also will advance his own priorities for the district, including economic improvements, gang intervention and prevention programs and easing poverty. He introduced a series of study proposals on public safety, parks and the environment, and city finances. firstname.lastname@example.org (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
VALLEY VILLAGE – An 89-year-old woman backed out of a parking space Thursday and plowed into the patio dining area of Gelson’s Market, critically injuring a man and seriously hurting a mother and her 3-year-old daughter, officials said. The collision occurred at 1:45 p.m. when a number of people were seated in the outdoor dining area at 4738 Laurel Canyon Blvd., police said. “She evidently put her car in reverse instead of forward,” LAPD Lt. Steven Allen said. “She hit the gas, went over a concrete bumper, drove though a hedge and hit three people sitting at a concrete table. “She sheared the concrete table off at the base.” A 1-year-old girl, her 29-year-old mother and her 54- year-old grandmother suffered minor injuries, and a 49-year-old man had a broken pelvis as well as head injuries. In July 2003, George Russell Weller, then 86, killed 10 people and injured scores more when he drove his 1992 Buick Le Sabre through the Santa Monica Farmers’ Market, mowing down everything in his path. Weller was convicted of 10 counts of vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. The judge in that case said Weller deserved to be sentenced to prison, but, citing Weller’s failing health, he sentenced him to probation. email@example.com (818) 713-3329160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A man in his 50s was critically injured and taken to Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills, Los Angeles Fire Department spokeswoman Melissa Kelley said. A 35-year-old woman and her daughter were taken to Los Angeles County/USC Medical Center with serious injuries. The driver, whose name was not released, was taken to Sherman Oaks Hospital and Health Center for treatment after complaining of breathing difficulties. Los Angeles police were investigating the cause of the crash, the latest Southland collision involving an older driver. In April, a 66-year-old handicapped man with a modified gas pedal injured four people when he drove his car into a patio area at a Costco store in Burbank.
Listen to the highlights of today’s show.Alan Brazil and co-host Dominic Cork were joined by Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, Tottenham hero Clive Allen, former Manchester United goalkeeper Mark Bosnich and Formula 1 legend Nigel Mansell.
“This disproportionately affects young people and has a lot of secondary effects,” Fielding said. “For some women, chlamydia leads to infertility.” Researchers found the number of cases in Ventura County totaled 10,270 and treatment cost $9.9 million. In San Bernardino County, the number of cases totaled 75,606 and treatment costs $50 million. From 2000 to 2005 in Los Angeles County, the number of reported cases of gonorrhea jumped from 7,199 to 10,494; syphilis more than tripled, from 336 to 1,213; and chlamydia cases increased from 30,546 to 38,862. “But HIV is really what we are most concerned about,” said Dr. Peter Kerndt, director of the county’s Sexually Transmitted Disease Program. “We know the rates of HIV in the younger age groups and among minorities are increasing. That’s where the epidemic is growing the fastest.” Kerndt noted several reasons for the increases, including better screening of youths covered under managed care insurance plans. Also, today’s youths generally are more sexually active, sometimes have multiple sexual partners and simultaneously place themselves at higher risk by using drugs and alcohol, Kerndt said. Health officials are also concerned about recent increases in different types of reported STDs among youths, including HIV, syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea. Although HIV became a reportable disease last year, no statistics are currently available and HPV is not a reportable disease. But health officials are especially concerned about HPV, noting that more than 90 percent of people who have the disease have no symptoms. Although research suggests that most immune systems will eliminate HPV infection within a year or two, about 10 percent of people remain infected for much longer, possibly for life. A vaccine that now protects against four HPV types – which cause about 70 percent of cervical cancer cases and 90 percent of genital warts – is now approved for females ages 11-26. “If you have private insurance, you can be vaccinated by your private physician,” Kerndt said. “If they are eligible, they can receive vaccines in publicly funded clinics.” About half of hepatitis B cases are also sexually transmitted. Infected people often have no symptoms, but it can lead to fatal liver disease. A vaccine is also available for hepatitis B now. “If youth are having sex, they should make sure they have protection,” Fielding said. “Condoms, for most of these diseases but not all, are the first line of protection.” firstname.lastname@example.org (213) 974-8985160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! More than 1 million youths in California have sexually transmitted diseases that cost the state more than $1 billion a year in treatment, according to a study set to be released today. And nearly a third of all the cases – 361,876 – are in Los Angeles County at an annual cost of $390 million, according to the study by the Public Health Institute. The findings contrast sharply with previous data based on cases reported among young people ages 15 to 24 – with researchers saying their findings are nearly 10 times higher. Researchers used statistic estimation methods recently developed at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to estimate the number of new cases and associated medical costs for eight major STDs. “This epidemic is like an iceberg – what you see is just a small part of what you have,” said Petra Jerman, a research scientist at the Oakland-based Public Health Institute’s Center for Research and Adolescent Health. “The estimated number of new cases and their associated costs illustrate that the STD epidemic among California youths remains largely hidden.” The report comes as health officials have expressed growing concerns about serious complications STDs can cause. The human papillomavirus, or HPV, is linked to cervical and anal cancer. Other STDs can increase the chance of contracting HIV by two to six times. “If you look at the overall numbers, the biggest impacts are from two diseases,” said Dr. Jonathan E. Fielding, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. “One is HIV and the other is HPV.” Fielding said the data also highlight the “hidden epidemic” of chlamydia and gonorrhea.
By Daniel Yee THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FORSYTH, Ga. – A former high school football star given 10 years in prison for having consensual oral sex with another teenager was freed Friday by Georgia’s highest court, which ruled that his sentence amounted to cruel and unusual punishment. Genarlow Wilson spent two years behind bars in the case that led to widespread protests of racism and heavy handed justice. After he was imprisoned, Wilson became the subject of prominent editorials and national news broadcasts. His sentence was denounced even by members of the jury that convicted him and the author of the 1995 law that put him in prison. Wilson was convicted of aggravated child molestation after he was videotaped having oral sex with a 15-year-old girl at a 2003 New Year’s Eve party in a hotel room. He was 17 at the time.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“I was in total disbelief,” Wilson said. “I’m finally happy to see we’ve got justice.” Wilson, 21, also said he wants to help other teens and offered some advice: “They should be very hesitant before they join certain crowds and make certain decisions.” In its 4-3 decision, the Georgia Supreme Court noted that state lawmakers had scrapped the law that required a minimum 10-year prison term. That change, the court said, represented “a seismic shift in the Legislature’s view of the gravity of oral sex between two willing teenage participants.” The justices also said Wilson’s sentence made “no measurable contribution to acceptable goals of punishment,” and his crime did not rise to the “level of adults who prey on children.”
Louis van Gaal is no more at Manchester United.After a campaign largely filled with frustration over performances – despite still getting their hands on the FA Cup trophy – the club called time on the Dutchman’s three-year contract 12 months early.Jose Mourinho is the man expected to take over and while excitement is building, there are a few people nervously awaiting his arrival.Van Gaal may have been short of support in his final months at Old Trafford, but if there’s one aspect of his management deserving of credit, it’s the dedication he showed to developing United’s youth players during his two seasons at the club.The 64-year-old handed 14 academy players their senior debut, with the likes of Jesse Lingard and Marcus Rashford became key members of the first team.And there is worry over what Mourinho’s arrival means for young striker Rashford, particularly with Zlatan Ibrahimovic being linked with a move.Read what a selection of worried fans have had to say below… 1 Rashford in action during the Red Devils’ FA Cup semi-final victory over Everton
talkSPORT’s transfer guru, Warren Haughton, joins Hawksbee and Jacobs to round up all the very latest rumours and gossip from the summer window.Our man-in-the-know bring us breaking reports that Newcastle midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum is on his way to Liverpool.With Tottenham reportedly dropping their interest in the 25-year-old, it is believed Wijnaldum is now ‘very close’ to sealing a £25million move to Anfield.The Netherlands international joined the Magpies from PSV for £14.5m last summer and netted a respectable 11 goals for the relegated side last season.There’s also today’s ‘Daily Pogba’, with the latest reports claiming Manchester United have had a £85m bid for the in-demand French star rejected by Juventus.The Italian giants are thought to be holding out for £100m, but if he is sold this summer they could look to sign Chelsea stalwart Nemanja Matic as his replacement.Get all this and MORE by listening to the latest Insider Trading podcast above!Here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines:Everton FC transfer report: Toffees to launch stunning £46million swoop for Napoli star Kalidou KoulibalyArsenal FC transfer report: Gunners launch stunning £41m move for Inter Milan forward Mauro IcardiManchester City target Leroy Sane tells Schalke he wants to leave this summerManchester United transfer news: Latest on Paul Pogba and more rumoursCONFIRMED: Liverpool sign Estonia defender Ragnar Klavan from Augsburg for £4.2millionCONFIRMED: Middlesbrough sign striker Alvaro Negredo from Valencia on a season-long loan
Fire on Fahan Hill – Adam Rory Porter for Donegaldaily.com2.10AM UPDATE: FIRE crews are tackling yet another gorse fire this morning on Fahan Hill just outside Buncrana.Photographer Adam Porter took this picture a short time ago.He says the blaze is around a mile from the house at the front of his photograph. Buncrana fire crews are attending the scene.Donegal Daily readers report seeing the glow from the flames from several miles away – including from the other side of Lough Swilly in Rathmullan.The fire broke out two hours after a mile-wide wild fire raged through gorse and heather near Loughanure.Fire crews there are still fighting the flames. There are already fears that some of the 80 gorse fires of the past few days have been started deliberately. BREAKING NEWS: FIRE BRIDAGE TACKLING ANOTHER WILD FIRE OUTSIDE BUNCRANA was last modified: April 8th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BREAKING NEWS: FIRE BRIDAGE TACKLING ANOTHER WILD FIRE OUTSIDE BUNCRANA